Well today was Sydney's 12 month visit. It went really well at first... We saw the new Pediatric doctor and he was very nice and thorough. Sydney seemed to like him and he answered all of my questions. Here are her new stats: 21 pounds and 29.13 in. long. (50th percentile for both)
He advised us that getting a CBC done would be beneficial to see if she was anemic or had been exposed to any lead. His reasoning for this was because of Nathan being in the Field Artillery and all of the metal he is exposed to. I did tell him that Nathan has been gone for a while and I did not think she had anything to worry about but he just wanted to be sure.
OK well that was when the fun started. She got her vaccinations like normal (4 today) and then it was time to head to the lab. Let's just say that drawing blood on a one year old is no fun. I had to hold her down while they literally dug around in her arm with the needle trying to find the vein. They were unsuccessful so they sent us back to Pediatrics. When we got there they had one of the nurses try, so yet again, I got to hold her down. This time we were able to get about .5cc which was going to have to be enough. I have never felt so bad as I did watching her go through that. My eyes were starting to tear up just looking at her.
When we were done the nurse asked is if she could give Syd a sucker. I really didn't know what she would do with it, but thought that was the least we could do for all the trauma she just went through. Surprisingly she sucked down the whole thing and didn't make to much of a mess. It did calm her down, but I hope she didn't like it too much because we all know that she will not be getting another one for a while. The whole event lasted 3.5 hours and both of us were sure glad to get out of there.
The Dr. just called a while ago and told me everything was OK, but her white blood cell count is elevated so he wants me to keep an eye on her and bring her back in next week to draw more blood to check it again. The poor thing is going to hate going to the doctor after this experience.
Sorry this is so long, but I just needed to vent a little.

1 comment:
Poor Sydney I hope we dont have to go through that. I am glad she got a sucker!
Post a Comment